Planning a New Life OR Is There Life After Retirement?

I have been silent for the entire summer.  “Interesting times”.  The big news?  I will be retiring at the end of June. Actually, I am officially retired right now, but am returning under special circumstances for one more year.

retired librarianGET THE T-SHIRT HERE!!!

A retirement  incentive came out at the beginning of the summer, but I was so busy with family, that I did not get a chance to read about it until July 5th. I’d planned to work 3 more years, so you can imagine my surprise to see that the Teacher Retirement System incentive offered 3 more years credit towards  retirement. The heavens were obviously speaking to me.

Still…I was incredibly torn. On one hand is my passion for this profession.  On the other hand is the knowledge that life is short, and my hubby and I would like to work on our “bucket list” together while we are still (relatively) whole and functional.

So, I found myself in the superintendent’s office (looking a bit like a deer in the headlights) telling him, “You have NO idea how surprised I am to be here right now”.  As it turns out, he was equally surprised, and I think a bit dismayed.  In any case, after it had been approved by the board of education, and I thought all was a done deal, the superintendent threw in a little “tweak”. So, now I get to officially retire, but come back for an additional year to tie things up a little, mentor our new middle school librarian, and plan a big blow-out retirement party.

My friends are calling this year “The Jacquie Henry Magical Good-bye Tour.” Not sure when the t-shirts will be on sale.  I will keep you posted.

I am still feeling a bit “gob-smacked”, to use a favorite phrase of my English relatives.

11 thoughts on “Planning a New Life OR Is There Life After Retirement?

1. You go girl! Twice in my career I have had to take extended medical leaves – once for 6 months and once for 2 years. What I learned from my time away and when I got back is that the library will go on. Other people can step in and do a great job. And my life – not my work – is what is most important. No one arrives at the pearly gates saying “Damn, I should have finished that report to the principal”. They say things like “I should have spent more time with my partner.” or “Why didn’t I go to Spain like I always planned?” Enjoy your time. You deserve it.

2. You sure are right about what we regret at the end. It’s just that libraries have always been my avocation as well as my vocation!

Thanks so much for the encouraging words!!

3. Hi,

Congratulations on a fantastic opportunity! I’m sorta retired, too. I worked 60% time last year (Wonderful opportunity) and now that I am fully retired am concentrating on my online teaching for UW-Stout (Opportunities and Innovations for Media Specialists and Digital Classroom: Primary Sources). I’ve signed back on to LM_NET to get ideas for classes, stay in touch, and get inspired for articles etc.
    And, I’m enoying some exciting volunteer opportunities that have nothing to do with school media, but I do get to use my tech skills.

I’ve enjoyed your blog throughout the years; Another goal for me is to do more with my fledgling blog.
    maryalicea.wordpress.com, also coincidentally with random thoughts in the title.

Best wishes!

Mary Alice Anderson

4. Thanks for the encouragement – and ideas for the future. I will add your blog to my Google reader. Although it might already be there. I have been so busy this summer, blog reading and writing has taken a real back seat I am afraid!

5. Jacquie,

At the end of last year, I decided I could not continue running all over the building retrieving library books, calling parents, taking care of copy machines, and doing the other myriad responsibilities that came my way. After a career in public libraries and 17 years as a school librarian (both elementary and secondary), I realized it was time to put the full-time career on the shelf. My MS was acting up. Two doctors urged me to take care of myself. Like you, I want to enjoy my husband and my children (27 and 23)as long as my health holds out. Like you, libraries have been and will always be my passion. We will continue our interest and support libraries as we take our belief in the importance of libraries to others.

Mary Birkett
    formerly at Bartlesville Mid-High and Kane Elementary Schools, Bartlesville, OK

6. Congratulations. As a dear friend unkindly put it, I’d been circling the drain for some time and last June finally took the plunge. Best thing I’ve ever done! Can’t tell you how wonderful it feels and the options it opens up. Good luck with your bucket list and enjoy! BTW just started reading “Younger Next Year for Women” as I plan to enjoy my retirement to the fullest. http://www.youngernextyear.com/

7. Retirement means sleeping past morning announcements, reading whatever you want whenever/wherever/however you want, and exploring new possibilities in all kinds of ways.
    You will love it!

8. Congratulations. I will be retiring in May but as our system is building a new elementary school and dividing 3 collections among 4 schools and reconfiguring all the grades, I may be back to assist with some of this…as an extra contract player. How many years in all, Jacquie? I will end up with 35.

9. Jacquie,
    I retired during the summer of 2006 and haven’t regretted it one bit! No more alarm clock – most days, anyway! No shortage of interesting things to do! One of my new “fun” activities is to help my elementary school media specialist daughter in her library. I still enjoy LM_NET – always something to learn – and, oh, it’s great to have time to read!!!
    Best Wishes,
    Jane Palmer, Jacksonville, FL

10. Ho Jackie,
    I’m finally catching up on email. Congratulations and best wishes on your retirement!! I only “Know” you from LM_NET, but I have enjoyed and benefitted from your posts over the years. I’m sure glad you’re staying on the listserve!!! – Jeanne Macomber, Librarian
    Bellevue Christian School
    jmacomber@bellevuechristian.org