iPad – Early Thoughts and Links

EARLY THOUGHTS:

I am enjoying my iPad.  Some of it is easily becoming second nature.  Other things  – not so much.  For instance, I wanted to write this post using the iPad.  It just did not work for me.  I will have to work on the fine motor coordination involved with the “highlight/copy/paste” routine. It is second nature on a laptop or desktop computer.  I am just not getting the hang of it on the iPad.  The biggest barrier to me writing this post on the iPad?  I can’t for the life of me figure out how to copy a link from the address bar.  As soon as I touch the address box, the keyboard pops up – anticipating that I want to type a web address.  Grrrr…

So….all that said here are some more thoughts and links that might help those of you taking part in the TRC iPad project.

At this early stage, I can summarize my thoughts this way:

The iPad is great as a READING and THINKING device, more than a surfing and working machine. I find it much easier to concentrate on a single web page,  and I put off following the hyperlink breadcrumb trail, which I swear is giving me late-in-life ADHD.

Some have been critical saying that it is not good for multi-tasking.  I don’t really get that.  All open web pages are simply hidden beneath the page you are concentrating on. It is very easy to switch back and forth between them.  Somehow, having them out of sight, allows me to concentrate better of the page at hand.

I will certainly try to become more proficient with the new cut/paste routine – but if I can’t copy web addresses, I can’t really see me using this for writing – other than a quick email now and again.

And that brings me back to my original impression.  I predict that I will continue to use  my laptop/desktop for working (email, blog posts etc.) and the iPad more for professional, leisure and contemplative reading.  That is a GREAT thing!  I thought about Steve Job’s demonstration when he introduced the iPad.  Sitting on stage with the iPad on his lap gave the message:  “This is something you use when you want to relax – or when you want to get away from the work desk and do some productive THINKING.”  That is an idea that really appeals to me.

In schools, it would be nice to think it might promote more serious thinking.  The ease of word processing and powerpoint contribute to a  ubiquitous “Let’s rush and get it done….Cut…Paste….Cut…Paste….” kind of mentality.  Too much “work” going on and not enough THINKING.  Of course, once it is loaded up with apps and games, I suppose it is back to being another electronic distraction…..

HELPFUL LINKS:

Here comes the stuff I could not cut and paste from my iPad.

Doug Johnson recommends:

iPad Starter Guide, also recommended by Kathy Schrock
http://www.macworld.com/article/150833/2010/04/ipad_starter_guide.html
http://blog.kathyschrock.net/
Kathy has been running a series of blog posts on her experience with the iPad.  I will need to study those posts closely.  She is way ahead of me as a techie.  I don’t understand half of what she says.  but skimming through it – I can see that she is using it in a much more techie kind of way.  I need to see how she is getting along with writing on the iPad.  I have to remind myself that I do not even own a cellphone and am therefore very unused to small keyboard playgrounds!

Kathy Schrock has been running a series of blog posts on her experience with the iPad.  I will need to study those posts closely.  She is way ahead of me as a techie.  I don’t understand half of what she says.  Skimming through the posts – I can see that she is using the iPad in a much more techie kind of way.  I need to see how she is getting along with writing on the iPad.  I have to remind myself that I do not even own a cellphone and am therefore totally clueless about running around small keyboard playgrounds!

I know.  No cell phone.  A veritable Neanderthal.  How on earth do I manage?  Well – I get some alone time, and I pay one less exorbitant monthly bill.  I don’t have cable either.  Imagine that if you can!  🙂

4 thoughts on “iPad – Early Thoughts and Links

1. When you need to copy a URL on the iPad, press down in the address bar and the keyboard will pop up. Ignore it, simply press and hold in the address bar again until the magnifying glass pops up. When you release your finger the menu with ‘select all’ pops up. Choose select all and then ‘copy’. Easy, once you know how to do it. 🙂

2. Jacquie,

My posts on the iPad are techie…since that is my first love…making it work the way I want it to. Suffice it to say that I am using it for many, many tasks, including writing. I use Page for creating documents, Keynote for creating presentations, post to Twitter via Twitter for iPhone (the app formerly known as Tweetie), and posting to Blogger via BlogPress. I use the on-screen keyboard at times, a BT keyboard at times, and the iPad dock keyboard at other times.

The larger screen really makes everything so much more accessible. I still love my iPhone, but the ability to use Safari on the iPad and not have to resort to the mobile versions of the Web sites, and have the familiar navigation and menu structure available, is a boon to my productivity. I no longer use the Facebook app for the mobile device and simply use the “real” one via Safari. I can easily log into Moodle with Safari on the iPad, but am also waiting to try an app for using mobile devices with Moodle.

I continue to read my Kindle collection, since I have not yet found anything I need to read in the iBook store, but I am sure that will come with time.

I do believe that the iPad could become a laptop replacement for me for about 90% of the time. When I need to work on video and audio stuff, or get into Second Life, of course I will pick the laptop or desktop as the correct tool for those functions.

But I really, really, love using the iPad!!!

3. Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.  I do think my problem so far is lack of experience with tiny devices.  I truly can’t imagine working from an iPhone.  It took awhile for me to get used to my net book. still, I am enjoying this experience.

the thing that seems a real barrier to me for working is not having access to word processing, other than via google docs.  I also miss having folders to organize files.  I have downloaded Print Central, but am not happy with printing only in plain text.  Again, that might be a matter of finding different solutions.

Can’t wait for iBooks to expand.  But am upset that I can’t download ebooks from the library.

And I know my colleagues who are etcher than me will eat up the posts I,ve linked them too.  It will just take me a bit longer!

Sent from my iPad