Blogs In the Classroom? Let the Kids Show You Why!

Turn up your speakers and take a look at this short video clip. Weblogging – Will Richardson

While watching, keep in mind that we can do this now – even here in low-tech Gananda. We don’t need any special software. An internet connection is all it takes. Blogging is as easy to learn as MS Word. Plus, I am available to all the RACHS staff to help you set up and manage a classroom blog. There are several web hosts that are designed specifically for schools. The teacher has full control of student posts and comments.

Many of the examples in the video are powerful writing assignments in English classes – but teachers will have lots of ideas for adapting the technology to their own classes.

I love how excited the kids are to communicate with authors and have a real audience for their writing. I even love the kid who laments that blogs take away his excuse for not knowing the assignment on days when he is absent.

Here is an earlier article where you can look at education blog hosts and also some examples of classroom and student blogs.