Michelle Obama comments at the DNC showed pride

Mostly I like to keep my blood pressure in check by not responding to comments online or in the print media. However – sometimes I just can’t stop myself.

In a letter to the editor in our Sunday paper, a writer said:

Michelle Obama’s comment was ignorant

For being a smart and educated woman I was surprised at the stupid comment that came out of Michelle Obama’s mouth.
Basically that she “had to sleep in a place that was built by slaves.”. Really?

Considering that slavery has been around for centuries dating back to Rome and Europe, and Africans sold other Africans. Obviously she didn’t have a problem moving into “that house” eight years ago. Poor Michelle. What a martyr.

Not sure my response will be printed, but here is my letter:

Michelle Obama’s comment showed pride not ignorance

When people quote another person, they should be sure to get the quote and its context correct. Michelle Obama did NOT say that she “had to sleep in a place that was built by slaves.” as one writer quoted in today’s paper.

Michelle actually talked about “generations of people …. who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today, I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves and I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black young women, playing with their dogs on the White House lawn.”

These are the words of a person who is proud of her heritage AND proud of America for evolving beyond slavery. This quote is entirely different in both content and meaning than the misquote from today’s letter writer.

3 thoughts on “Michelle Obama comments at the DNC showed pride

1. Your response to that letter was not only on point, but accurate and moving in its clarity. One wonders if the letter writer used the “ignorant” label out of a habit of hatred or gross inattention.

2. Thanks Linda. My letter did not get printed…but two more letters with the same point of view were printed.

3. Thanks Linda. My letter did not get printed…but two more letters with the same point of view were printed.