Cal Thomas … Disrespecting “People of Age”

Don’t think older people are often considered inferior?  Try staying in a hospital where you either grit your teeth, or scream every time some young thing calls you “sweetie” or “honey”.  Grrrr….  This stereotype of the “dear, demented elderly” is often apparent in society as a whole.

Many might not believe it, but I DO read widely on all sides of political and social issues.  I know I am a “bleeding heart” liberal … but I have SOME conservative viewpoints.  I was even quite prepared to vote for a …. gasp!…. Republican this year, if that Republican had been Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio or John Kasich.  Looks pretty sure that I am out of luck there.

Anyway … yesterday I forced myself to read Cal Thomas.  I read Charles Krauthammer and Michael Gerson quite frequently.  I disagree with them for the most part, but I find their opinions to be thoughtful and well reasoned.  And they keep my brain from bulging out too far on the left side. However,  I CANNOT STAND CAL THOMAS.  I force myself to read his column once in awhile when the headline is not terribly off-putting.

Yesterday….. Ugh!  The man thinks in stereotypes.  I might have to vote for Hillary just to spite him.  No wonder the Republican party has lost so many women voters.  In his column, Can’t We Do Better?,  Cal referred  to the Democratic candidates in terms dismissive of women and senior citizens.  He called Hillary a “tired old warhorse” and also criticized her for staying with her husband.  Nobody knows the dynamics of a marriage…and (for the most part)  it should not matter politically.  It is a private matter.  And, let’s face it, with the most conservative Christian voters, she would be damned if she did and damned if she didn’t .  If she stays with him, she is condoning adultery.  If she does leaves him, well.. never mind forgiveness and the sanctity of marriage.

Next he called Bernie a “dinosaur”.  Yet another slam on “old people”.  Never mind that Saint Ronald Reagan was 70 when he took office.  Glad to see at least that Cal is using the age card on BOTH Hillary and Bernie.  Equal opportunity age discrimination!  A bit of a double whammy for Hillary.  Despite what anyone might say…women are judged on their appearance more than men, and “tired old war horse” hits her for both age and appearance.

The political discourse is at lts lowest these days…between agist, racist, and  sexist remarks…not to mention tacky “manhood” comparisons. Ugh!

Can’t we do better?  Can’t YOU do better, Cal Thomas?!