Toys and iPads – Irresistible!

Toys and iPads – Irresistible!
My array of desk toys is a never-ending attraction to the kids.  Right now there are two favorites – the Yoda Button and the iPad.
I have been doing as much as possible with the iPad over the past few days so I can make a judgement.  The kids are excited to see it.  For the most part they like it.  I enjoy the opportunity to share ideas.
I still see it as mainly a reading and email machine.  Perhaps if I invest in a keyboard dock I will be more comfortable with extended work.  I can easily read and respond to emails.  I feel far less need to print.  BiP (Before iPad) if I wanted to read a lengthy web article, I would print it.  Now I simply bookmark it into my delicious account, and read the article in portrait mode – just as I read a novel. Scrolling with the touch screen somehow anchors me to the text in a similar way that reading a print book or magazine engages me.
The most unexpected consequence?  The social nature of this machine. Where a cell phone and other texting devices exclude other people in the room, the iPad seems to invite people into the circle.   It is easy for several people to read together.  It is also much more relaxing to use than a laptop.  so, at my house, I rarely disappear into my office to catch up on my email and news reader.  Instead, I use the iPad while my hubby and I enjoy an evening together.  We chat about what I am reading.  If Bob is watching something I don’t like on TV, I can read my traditional book or read an ebook.
What about libraries?  I feel we need to get into all this as quickly as possible.  If I were not a frequent library user, I can see how the ease of downloading books would soon ensure that I never bothered to go again.  What would keep me using the library, at least virtually, is the Scrooge side of my character.  I am simply too cheap to download books when I can get them free from the library.
My reading tells me that Overdrive plans to come out with iPad compatible software over the summer.  I hope they hurry, before I am forced to cut up my credit card!

I have been doing as much as possible with the iPad over the past few months so I can make a judgement where they fit.  The kids are excited to now that we have six for the library.  For the most part they like them.  I enjoy the opportunity to share ideas.

People who just do a quick dabble in the iPad world seem to see them as an extravagant toy.  Now that I’ve had it for a year, I’d be lost without it.  I still use it mainly as a reading and email machine.  The earth is definitely benefiting as I feel far less need to print.  BiP (Before iPad) if I wanted to read a lengthy web article, I would print it.  Now I simply bookmark it into my Instapaper account, and read the article in portrait mode – just as I read a novel. Scrolling with the touch screen somehow anchors me to the text in a similar way that reading a print book or magazine engages me.

The most unexpected consequence?  The social nature of this machine. Where a cell phone and other texting devices exclude other people in the room, the iPad seems to invite people into the circle.   It is easy for several people to read together.  I see that as a real benefit to encourage our students to learn how to work together.

It is also much more relaxing to use than a laptop.  At home, I rarely disappear into my office anymore to catch up on my email and news reader.  Instead, I use the iPad while my hubby and I enjoy an evening together.  We chat about what I am reading.  If Bob is watching something I don’t like on TV, I can read my traditional book or read an ebook.

I have finally been able to download the Overdrive iPod app and use it on my iPad so I can download eBooks from the public library.  Before that, I was in danger of burning up my credit card on Amazon, Barnes and Nobel and iBooks.

2 thoughts on “Toys and iPads – Irresistible!

1. I’d like to be able to spend more time exploring one. I know you gave me a chance to look at yours and I thank you. Maybe I can get one of my own some day.

I subbed at GMS yesterday for the first time. I really enjoyed it.

2. Thanks for your recent blog comments. Glad you enjoyed GMS. I will suggest to Kathy L. that she ask for you when she has to be out. I was lucky to have an iPad at no cost to me from BOCES TRC. It was given to us with no limits, so I could download whatever apps I wanted (at my own expense of course) and really make the machine mine. That is the biggest thing about iPads. They work best when they can be personalized to the individual. I would LOVE to see all our students have their own individual iPad.