You’re safe, librarians have your back!

I just finished reading the book This Book Is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson.

“This is a book for readers who know that words can be wild and dangerous, that uncensored access to information is a right and a privilege, and that the attempt to ‘catalog the world in all its complexity’ is heroic beyond compare.” (O, The Oprah Magazine )

It is interesting to read a non-librarian’s perception of the new demands that are changing our jobs every day.

The book is definitely from the public and academic library perspective, but the challenges will be very familiar to school librarians as well.  Those of us who might have concerns about our “new” title of  “school librarian” should read the book to reacquaint ourselves with the proud tradition behind the word librarian.  I am still conflicted about the job title, not because there is anything wrong with the title, but because we just can’t seem to blast people out of their preconceived notion of what a librarian is.

At any rate…

The daily tools of a librarian may have changed.  Books might even “disappear” as they morph into a variety of electronic formats.  But our mission is the same.  And the value we add to life remains the same.  The last page of the book finds the author touring a brand new, state of the art library in New England.  She ultimately finds a quiet nook, and loses herself in a book.  Her description reminds me of our ongoing mission:

“It did not matter who I was, or what I did, or where I paid taxes…  I knew the librarians would help me figure out anything I needed to know….I was under the librarians’ protection.  Civil servants and servants of civility, they had my back.  They would be whatever they needed to be that day: information professionals, teachers, police, community organizers, computer technicians, historians, confidants, clerks, social workers, storytellers, or, in this case, guardians of my peace.

I ask you… How could any one title – librarian, teacher-librarian, school librarian, media specialist, cybrarian, information specialist –  possibly encompass all of that?!

4 thoughts on “You’re safe, librarians have your back!

1. Jacquie, thanks so much for writing to me last weekend. I do like this post of yours. I also completely agree that librarians will always be needed. We have the unique pleasure of helping people find their way through…. just about anything. I spend some time working in a public library and Marilyn’s book rang true for me. I also noted the similarity to many of my experiences at my school. I love the place I have in the hearts of my patrons. I respect that role as well. I think being a librarian is just the greatest thing, but will always be a necessity.

2. Thanks for commenting.  I too LOVE our job, and find it so disheartening to see positions being cut across the country.  Our district is a refreshing exception as we are adding a position this year.