What will I be when I grow up?

I am SUPPOSED to be retired.  Several teachers, including myself, were offered a retirement incentive last spring.  I am the only one who did not take it.  I watch my much younger colleagues happily retiring and wonder what is wrong with me.

My whole life has been centered around libraries.  I love them.  I need them like I need air to breathe.  What on earth will I DO when I retire?  Of course, I can still be involved in libraries.  I suppose I could volunteer…. But can I stand to not be in charge???

In recent years, it has been a rare semester that doesn’t bring me a fresh new intern to terrorize – whoops – mentor.  I LOVE doing this.  I love the idea of sharing the “mission from God” with the next generation of librarians.  Several folks have urged me to look into teaching grad school classes.  But – when I DO retire, I just don’t think I want to jump into another regular job – even a part-time one.  The only reason I would leave the job I love, is so I can wake up and plan my own day or week, without pesky job obligations

My hubby and I spent 4 glorious weeks of vacation this summer, celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary.  If I thought retirement would be a series of such trips, I’d sign on the dotted line in a heartbeat.  Alas!  Were we to adopt such a wandering life style, we’d soon be broke and practicing our dumpster diving skills.

So my friends – got any ideas for me?  I have to grow up someday.  But I really don’t want to…..

5 thoughts on “What will I be when I grow up?

1. Hi Jacquie,

Since whenever I bring up retirement to my wife, she reminds me that I get bored on long weekends, this post struck a nerve. My readings about retirement tell me that the person who has some sort of activity plan will have a happier AND longer retirement.

Here are my thoughts about what I might do. (My age now rules out Chippendale dancer which would have been my first choice.)

– administering or just working in a small public library
    – volunteering in a local school or with an adult literacy group
    – teaching overseas (if anyone would have me)
    – write all those books I can’t seem to get around to writing now
    – drive a taxi cab
    – be a delivery person, a job I enjoyed in college

I can think of no worse fate than to simply sit around the house. I hope I can continue to travel, speak and consult well into my dotage. People probably won’t even realize when I’ve become senile, the transition will be so slight.

Let your readers know when you get it all figured out.

Thanks,

Doug

2. I’m selfish in that I’m hoping you won’t retire soon. I was very disappointed about not being able to do my practicum with you in the spring. Did you get my email?

Besides that, you are just such a darn good librarian we would hate to lose you! And I’m not just saying that to get brownie points.

3. Priscilla,

Thanks for the note. I can’t wait to have a real look at your blog. Love the pictures!!

My email is a mess right now – so I have probably lost the email you sent. I was away literally all summer and was unable to keep up with my school email as I usually do. Now I am paying for it. I am sorry you will not be able to do a practicum. When you get a chance – you can let me know what happened. Hope you are still on track with library school etc.

I have no idea why your blog doesn’t link to your comments. When you comment, I assume you type the address is the space provided. The blogging software is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Keep in touch!

4. P.S. Thanks so much for the kind words. I went back wondering why I don’t retire – and then our “lunch bunch” came hopping into the library (literally) and gave both Kathy and I great big hugs, telling us how excited they were to be back in the library. THAT is what makes it all worthwhile!