Please – Can We Stop Fighting over Christmas??

The latest “controversy” over Starbucks Coffee Cups is another example of how we have lost the ability to just be nice.

I grew up in the 50s (a very un-liberal time) and at least a third of the “Christmas Cards” contained the phrase “Happy Holidays” or “Seasons Greetings” and probably half the songs used the phrase “Happy Holidays” or featured snowmen, Santa, and reindeer etc. No one thought it was a “War against Christmas!” Guess we just assumed people would enjoy a friendly greeting and a happy song during the season.

For the rest of the season, I plan to block all websites that harp on either side of this “issue” – so that I can have a Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Holiday Season, Merry Christmas, Happy Christmas, Happy New Year AND wish Happy Holidays to EVERYONE, even those who celebrate Hannukah, Kwanza and any other holiday.

I like people and, oddly, I like to wish them all well. Christmas is my tradition. I will probably say “Merry Christmas” at least half of the time. To those who are NOT Christian – I am simply wishing you the happiness that Christmas gives me. If you reply with Happy Hanukkah or Happy Holidays or whatever, I will concentrate on the word HAPPY and assume you are wishing me well.

I hope that EVERYONE will have a peaceful season, no matter what your religion or non-religion. I will tell you that stopping all the political and social issue websites from entering my feed has made me a MUCH happier person. I highly recommend it!!

Meanwhile – PLEASE – Let There be Peace on Earth!

11 thoughts on “Please – Can We Stop Fighting over Christmas??

1. I agree wholeheartedly. I might add that
    X-mas was used quite a lot in store ads and handwritten personal greetings, and no one thought a thing of it.

2. These holidays and festivals occur at this time of year for many reasons: because it is cold and often miserable outside and we need some cheer, it is the end of the year and we are ready to celebrate the coming renewal, to see the joy and anticipation on children’s faces, and to celebrate each other with or without a lot of religious meanings attached. When I was kid we sang Christmas carols in school and went caroling at people’s doors. Some songs had religious content and some were all about Santa and snowmen and sleigh rides. It didn’t mean the Jewish kids had been converted, even if they sang along. It was just what we did, and it was fun. I imagine the schools have scaled back or become more inclusive on the religious content in consideration for other religions and ethnic groups. Christmas means many things to many people according to their upbringing, and for most it is a fun, loving, and joyous time. Let’s just leave it at that and stop worrying about how a coffee company decorates its cups. That is just plain silly. Don’t we have better things to be concerned about?

3. Faith responded with a terrific picture echoing these thoughts. I forgot to copy her exact words and don’t know how to copy in the picture. But – Thanks Faith!

4. Mary M. posted a very thoughtful response with some good ideas a bit on the other side of the coin. I am sorry that she evidently deleted it before I had an opportunity to copy it in here. Hopefully I did not accidentally delete it! I had to leave write after I put in the part about moving comments here….so I did not get around to moving them till after my doctor appt. Sorry Mary!

5. Excellent! My pet peeve is the notion that only Merry Christmas is an acceptable greeting. To Christians, sure. To those observing other holidays, it doesn’t make you less Christian (if you are) to give a cheery greeting appropriate for their holiday. In fact, it is a friendly, thoughtful, probably unexpected way to say “I respect your beliefs and want you to know that!”

6. We seem to have lost the ability to be civil these past few years. i love Facebook….but I have to say it contributes to this rancor. Unless you specialize in kitty posts! 🐱