RIP Hard Drive

When would be the WORST time for a hard drive failure? Just before presenting a webinar of course.

I was feeling pretty confident about my second run through of my web evaluation webinar. I thought I’d go over it quickly last night and perhaps add a few things. And then I booted up the computer and saw it…”IMMINENT HARD DRIVE FAILURE”. And the backup drive was full! It is a terabyte drive…but I save music and my hubby is a photographer. I scrambled to save the pictures and documents etc. to another drive. I got everything of the most importance saved, thank goodness.

Now…what about the webinar? Fortunately, I still have connections with my former school. So…I broke the news to Emily Gover, EasyBib’s librarian extraordinary, and we arranged to run a test with the school equipment. It was a hassle getting set up, between having to use my former assistant’s password…and then discovering that that the %#^* content filter blocked my website. Bummer! It took me from 1-3:15 to get things set up comfortably on my end with the webinar sign in time of 3:45. Thank goodness my friend remembered to warn me that the computers are set to automatically shut down at 5, so I knew how to avoid turning into a pumpkin at the witching hour.

It will probably take me the next 48 hours to relax. And then…out to buy a new computer tower and as big a back-up drive as possible!!

2 thoughts on “RIP Hard Drive

1. My condolences. At least you got through the webinar, though! It could have happened immediately before it or weven during it, I suppose. Sheesh. Maybe I should look into one of those online backup services…

2. I am planning TWO 2- terabyte external back-up drives. And your suggestion of an online back-up service is a great one. I will start looking. Do you know of any with a reliable rep? Thanks for the idea and the condolences!

And how are you, by the way???