Webinars – A New Experience for Me!!

Although I have attended a few (very few) webinars – I have never presented one. So…this retired old librarian learns a new trick…I hope. See details for time and registration below.

On behalf of EasyBib, I will be presenting a webinar on the topic of Web Evaluation. Disclaimer: Please don’t worry that this might be  a pitch to purchase a subscription to EasyBib. I have seen the webinars that they have done in the past, and they present some excellent materials on information literacy.They are very well done and are useful for everyone – subscribers to EasyBib AND those who subscribe to another service or do not plan to use online research/citation services at all. The ones I have viewed were hosted by Emily Gover, who is their staff librarian.  I hope to do half as good a job as she does.
Alas! If you attend, you might feel you are listening to a rerun of a Lauren Bacall movie. Whoops…yet again I show my age. For the youngsters out there – she had a distinctive, somewhat raspy voice. I have a respiratory infection right now, and if my voice doesn’t improve soon, I may sound more like Bob Dylan. Whoops – dating myself yet again I suppose!  The good news is that at least attendees are in no danger of catching anything more serious than a bad case of boredom.
Here are the registration details:
Title of Webinar:
ARE THERE REALLY WHALES IN MINNESOTA?
Web Evaluation Workshop for Librarians & Classroom Teachers
Web address to attend the Webinar:
  or
Tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/d6w84nj
Content:
Your students have just found a website called GenPets.  They appear to be selling Biogentic Pets.  Animals created in a laboratory?  Hmmmmm…….  It looks very real.  As an adult, you know it is a hoax – but how will your students know?  Even as adults, we wander into websites that seem questionable – but are just not quite sure.
Learn a quick and easy way to evaluate what you and your students see on the web.  You will leave with an incredibly easy and reliable web evaluation checklist suitable for grades 3-12 (and adults too!).  Just think – no more waiting for that check from the Nigerian Royal Family to arrive in your bank account!  This workshop was designed to open educators’ eyes to the need to evaluate, how to teach children to recognize unreliable websites; and how to hold students accountable for the resources they choose – on and offline.
Date and Time:
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:00 pm  Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-04:00) Duration: 1 hour.  Once you get to the webinar website on Wednesday, you will simply sign in with your first and last name, and a password for the event.  Then click “Join Now”, and you will receive instructions.
Hope to “see” lots of folks.  I will be in my pajamas, sipping soothing honey & lemon tea (no booze – I promise) and, since it feels a tad weird to be addressing an audience I cannot see – I will have a family photo of the Obamas perched atop my computer, so I feel that I am actually talking to real people!  I’d use my own family photo…but the amount of stuff piled up by my hoarder hubby is blocking the photo albums.  Besides – looking at their faces would freak me out.  I know they never listen to me!