Childhood Reads – Male & Female

In spite of my previous rant about Rush Limbaugh’s treatment of women – I am now about to muse on how the sexes are different. Go figure.

I once observed the innate difference between little boys and little girls in the library. I had given my second graders a valentine art project to keep the little darlings busy while groups took turns browsing the shelves. You can count on it. The little girls’ pictures all involved butterflies, hearts and rainbows, while the little boys’ valentine illustrations mostly involved knives thrust into the hearts along with copious amounts of blood.

I was reminded of this while reading Doug Johnson’s latest post “Revisiting Childhood Reads“.  Oddly enough, I have been planning to re-read some of my old favorites.

Here is a picture of one of Doug’s favorite childhood reads.

And here is a picture of one of my favorites… 

Showboat Summer (Pam & Penny Howard)

I’ve been reading my early teenage diaries. That’s where I rediscovered this gem of the 50s. The diaries are so cringe-worthy that I am seriously tempted to burn them. Diaries and blogs might come back to bite you. I can always burn the diaries…..but how long will this blog hang out there? Perhaps one of my progeny will be so embarrassed, they will contact edublogs and beg for a mercy killing.