Wanderings or Blatherings

I am doing some new librarian mentoring. The latest is an interview for a foundations course. So – if my blathering wanderings are of any use to anyone – here they are. Some very interesting questions to ponder on the changing roles of Library Media Specialists.

Gananda’s superintendent recently referred to me as a Library Technology Specialist. Interesting choice of title. Does it conflict with our role as “bookies”? Maybe. Which is more important?  Promoting our roles as the school’s “Technology Whisperer” or retaining our proud tradition as “book people”? Will the title of Library Technology Specialist open people’s eyes to the fact that we are technology experts? Or do we risk confusing people? I used to say “Be a LIBRARIAN and be proud.” Now I lean more to educating the public about our expanded roles. They are just not getting it.

2 thoughts on “Wanderings or Blatherings

1. Jacquie
    thanks for sharing your responses. I found myself shaking my head, as I could have written about 95% of it myself–espeically the end, where you talk about taking a lunch and a planning period and leaving “on time”. It never ceases to amaze me how similar we (and by “we” I mean school librarians in general) are when it comes to our spaces and our programs and, most importantly, our patrons. Congratulations on your well earned retirement and thanks, again, for sharing!