Easy (and free) Web Editor

My favorite mentoree has asked me how to make School World webpages do what SHE wants them to do – instead of what SchoolWorld wants them to do.

I used to use FrontPage – but I understand that is no longer available.  After searching for awhile – I realized that an old friend was still available.

KompoZer is an easy-to-use, free web editor.  Some of you may know it, because it used to be part of Netscape back in the day.

Anyway – if you want to do something and School World is unable to do it , here is how to get around School World’s limitations:

• Create you page in Kompozer (don’t bother with pictures at this point)
  • Click on the “source” tab at the bottom of the screen.
  • Copy the source code
  • Open your School World editing page
  • Click on the “html” tab at the bottom of the editing box
  • Paste the code from Kompozer
  • Click the “design” tab at the bottom of the School World editing page
  • Add pictures if desired.

2 thoughts on “Easy (and free) Web Editor

1. Thanks for the tip I’ll have to explore it.

My biggest issue with SchoolWorld right now is my unability to easily add pictures. Seems like everytime I add a picture it messes up the text format on the page. Probably because the design page behaves more like a Word doc than a design program.

If you ever figure out how to get around this please let me know!

2. I think you could try using Kompozer to add pictures and then paste it in. I suggested not doing that because you will have to mess with pix twice. After you paste in the code, you will have to upoad the picture to School World and fix the connection. I have not tried it – but I suspect that when you paste the page into School World, at first a little box with a red X will appear where the picture should be. You will then have to click on that box and then upload the picture and insert it. Give it a try and see if it works.