Kindle or Netbook?

I like to treat myself at the end of the school year. This year, I am struggling over what to buy to satisfy my inner geek.

Netbook or Kindle??

NETBOOK
I already have a laptop.  I love it for working at home because it has a big 17 inch screen and a big keyboard.  But I don’t take it with me as often as I anticipated.  The problem? It is heavy and the battery life is not very long.  A netbook  would fix those problems.  I just feel slightly ridiculous and self-indulgent to spend the money when we already have 2 computers in our house.  New computers.  ……And there are only 2 of us……

KINDLE
I am definitely interested.  Problem?  I don’t buy books.  At least not very often.  Seems an odd thing for a librarian to admit.  But at heart, I am a die-hard library person.  I truly believe in the most fundamental reason to use a library – FREE BOOKS!!  I was excited when our public library system started a downloadable audio book and ebook collection.  Not that I care about audio books.  I am constitutionally incapable of listening to a book.  I MUST read books.  Ebooks seem a good solution.  But the collection currently on offer from the public library is dismal.

So….go to Amazon, right?  No.  It would cost money.  I read fiction.  It is very rare that I would want to read a novel more than once.

So, why on earth should I buy a Kindle?

Guess I’ll resist the siren call.  Even though every time I go to Amazon I hear it.  “Buy me, buy me, buy me…….”, the beautiful device chants seductively.

I will try to be strong.  If I succumb, the Kindle will end up like many a toy I had as a child – abandoned under my bed in favor of my trusted old friends.   Yes…yes…there are definite advantages to the Kindle.  The price is not the barrier.  It’s the maintenance.  Right now the pretty little toy just costs too much to feed….

Long live the free lunch!  Long live the library!

2 thoughts on “Kindle or Netbook?

1. What a dilemma!
    I’m having trouble deciding where to put a little cash, too. Netbook or iPod touch or…um…paying some bills? Nah… The shiny red Acer Aspire looks like a beauty! Yum.

2. Now I am thinking of an ipod. Nice to have such dilemmas I guess.

Congrats on the big award. You and you colleagues really deserve it. What a great way to end the year!