I Have A Dream!!

SOMEDAY, SOMEWHERE, I will meet SOMEBODY who has never heard of the dreaded librarian stereotype. Someday I will read an article from the non-library press that does not start off with a disclaimer such as this one:

Forget the fast-fading stereotype of the hair-in-a-bun, eyeglasses-on-a-chain, shush-happy librarian. From: Modern librarians are hip, tech-saavy Monday, January 07, 2008 By Morgan Jarema The Grand Rapids Press

“Hair-in-a-bun, eyeglasses-on-a-chain, shush-happy librarian!” Sigh……
I am always sad to hear the librarian stereotype invoked – even when used to “prove” that librarians are really not all that bad. It makes me feel that our proud profession is not only under-valued – but positively trivialized. I try very hard not to dwell on it or take it personally. But there are days when it is hard to keep my teeth gnashing under control.

So…. what about this (more subtle) disclaimer?

As workstations replace dust-covered shelves in your district libraries, a new breed of librarian—the library media specialist (LMS)—has become an essential part of a school’s faculty. From: Meet Your New School Library Media Specialist By Eric Weil Scholastic Administrator

Don’t get me wrong. This is a great article. I was prepared to love the article when it was posted on LM_NET and talked about by Doug Johnson and others in Library Blogland. I do like the article. But here we go again. Starting off a fine article with a disclaimer: “Workstations replace dust-covered shelves!”
Who says our shelves are dust-covered? Double Sigh….
I don’t know about you – but I am proud of our profession. I am proud that we are always in the forefront of new technologies. Even if no one else seems to notice – our students and fellow teachers notice. But I am equally proud to be in the forefront of the book world. BOOKS!! BOOKS!! BOOKS!!
Book is NOT a four-letter word, folks. We are NOT old fashioned if we still see connecting kids and books as an important part of our mission. Just as important as blogs, wikis and podcasts – if not more so.

And as long as I am ranting…. I also resent the stereotype of the librarian as being OLD. What’s so bad about being old?

Here is an LM_NET posting of mine from a few years ago:

I think we “golden oldies” actually have a real advantage going for us. We are the ones who remember the agony of the card catalog and Reader’s Guide. We are in the best position to appreciate the information “dream come true” that we are witnessing in the internet age. When I was in Library School we had to create a mini database using punch cards. We were also learning about something called MARC records which were going to allow libraries to share their collections world wide. Looking back, I realize that we were working on the superstructure of the information age. We can be really proud of ourselves as information pioneers and we also have the joy of seeing the fruits of our labors in our own lifetimes. What a time to be a librarian!!!

Sensible shoes, or tattoos – it doesn’t matter. LET’S BE PROUD. Repeat after me:

NO MORE DISCLAIMERS!!!

NO MORE APOLOGIES!!!

We are LIBRARIANS! Hear us ROAR!!