I have created a page with general information about substitutes that can be used in grain-free recipes.
Recipe serves 4
8 thin half chicken breasts (4 half chicken breasts can be sliced from end to end to make thin pieces)
1 large egg
About a cup of finely chopped pecans or walnuts
About 3/4 cups of shredded parmesan/Romano or other italian cheese combination, OR 4 slices of provolone
4 slices of ham
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Dredge ONE side of chicken in egg and then in nuts
Place 4 pieces of chicken, nut side down, on parchment paper lined baking pan
Top bare side of chicken with cheese
Place a slice of ham on top of the cheese
Cover the cheese and ham with a second piece of chicken, nut side up this time
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, or until thermometer reads around 160 degrees
Another savory grain-free recipe.
(I made a number of changes to this Paleo recipe I found online. My adjustments are in parentheses)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco(R))
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay(TM)
ground black pepper to taste
1 pound fresh lump crabmeat (I used three 6 oz cans of Trader Joe’s cabmeat)
1/4 cup almond flour (I used almost 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon finely diced red pepper
2 teaspoons sliced green onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup almond flour (I used at least twice this amount)
Grease a baking sheet. (I used parchment paper)
Whisk together egg, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice, seafood seasoning, and black pepper in a bowl.
Place crab meat in a separate bowl and pour egg and mayonnaise mixture in; gently combine with hands. (I simply added the crab to the mixture to save dish washing)
Mix in 1/4 cup almond flour, peppers, green onions, and parsley.
Form mixture into 6 patties. (I formed six balls and squeezed out the excess water)
Place 1/3 cup almond flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge each cake (ball) in almond flour and set on prepared sheet pan; (flatten the balls into patties on the baking sheet); refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Bake crab cakes in the oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Lest you think that going grain free applies only to desserts – I have a number of modified savory recipes like this modified eggplant part recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minsTotal Time: 55 minsServings: 4
1 eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise thinly
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs (SUB ALMOND FLOUR)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups spaghetti sauce
1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Dip each eggplant slice in beaten egg, and dredge with almond flour
Place slices on a parchment paper lined cookie tray
Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes per side
Lower temperature to 350°F
Pour a little sauce in bottom of a baking pan, sprayed lightly with olive oil spray
Arrange half the eggplant slices in the bottom of the baking dish
Spread half the remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella and half the Parmesan. Repeat layers.
Bake 40 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (I used softened butter)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup raspberry or current jam
- 1 egg white
- 1/2-3/4 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. almond extract
- 2-4 tsp. milk
- In a food processor combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
- Pulse in coconut oil and honey until dough forms
- Form 1 tablespoon of batter into balls
- Roll balls into whipped egg white
- Roll each ball in chopped pecans
- Put the nut covered balls on parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly
- Press your thumb into the center of each cookie to make an indentation
- Place ½ teaspoon of jam in the center of each cookie
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes until golden brown (I do 14 minutes -7 min/turn/7 more minutes.
- Mix confectioner’s sugar, almond extract and milk
- Drizzle icing over cookies
- Let cool on the baking sheet