About Me

JHSept2010

“The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American way.” (From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03)

wanderingbooknut at gmail dot com

“All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

educationhenry

Poster created for me by Doug Johnson

My name is Jacquie Henry. I am a retired librarian who spent most of her career at Ruben A. Cirillo High School in Walworth, New York. I started this blog to talk about library issues.  When I started, I made this statement:

As time goes on, I may discover even more reasons to blog. Or I may discover that I do not have the time or inclination to make the necessary commitment. I may wander off in another direction completely – so the title “Wanderings” is probably quite appropriate….

Well – guess what?   I am “wandering off in another direction.”

Why?  Well – I certainly found my 40 year career to be very exciting, and still follow library related issues with interest. However, since retiring, I have struggled with the direction this blog should take.  Web 2.0 technologies (now and antiquated phrase) change a school library’s mission on a daily basis. Also – with the advent of Common Core, I am not as in touch with education needs as I used to be (or should be) to write effectively on library issues.  

To add to that, I now struggle with a chronic disease every day.  Being periodically incapacitated encouraged me to explore the world of social media more closely.  I enjoy socializing on Facebook to keep in touch with friends when I am housebound.  I find many thought provoking  posts – but also many that make me angry….. quick and dirty (not to mention superficial) analyses of current issues.  So – I have made a new resolution that I hope will help revive this dormant blog.

You can read about my resolution here: My Facebook Resolution

So – I hope to keep my lifelong passion for writing alive.  Whenever I encounter something new, I find that I have a strong NEED to write down my thoughts.  I have done this since I was very young.  Reading and writing have been my passion, and blogging was absolutely made for me.  No wonder I went into the library profession!  Anyway – please bear with me as I wander off into the future and “think out loud” – which is what writing is all about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes from a lifelong library lover:

Being a librarian has always been fun. But Web 2.0 technologies make library jobs more exciting every day.

But wait a minute – isn’t the internet a threat to librarians? Now that everyone “Googles” – who needs librarians? Whenever someone says this, I wonder if the person has been inside a library lately. Libraries are busier than ever.

Librarians have always been guides in the print world. We are “idea people”. Our mission is to bring people and ideas together. It does not matter whether those ideas are in the form of a book, a video, a web page, an electronic database, an ebook, a blog or a podcast.

Mostly, librarians CARE about people. Yes – technology is fun, but sometimes it can get in the way. Bottom line – librarians understand that no matter how cool the technology is – it is worth nothing if “real” people can’t use it. So we create road maps to help folks access and understand the information they need – regardless of which tech highway they happen to be on at the moment.

Why Did I Start This Blog?

1. As a “hands on” way to learn about blogging
  2. As a way to communicate with teachers
  3. As a way to share ideas with other librarians
  4. As a way to “think out loud!”

Why Did I Name It Wanderings?
As time goes on, I may discover even more reasons to blog. Or I may discover that I do not have the time or inclination to make the necessary commitment. I may wander off in another direction completely – so the title “Wanderings” is probably quite appropriate…..

Jacquie Henry, MLS

CONTACT FORM

%%wpcontactform%%

Locations of visitors to this page

10 thoughts on “About Me

1. Pingback: Information Technology Skills | Fun & Exciting Stuff

2. Pingback: More blog posts that I like « GoHornets Weblog

3. Jacquie, dear friend,

I have many times thought to visit your blog site. I could not remember what the site was called. You see, I am actually getting a little older myself!

Part of me thinks that Gananda will flounder greatly without their wonderous book-bone. Another part of me thinks there are a thousand and one things waiting for you to discover. I am so excited for you.

Just think, maybe now you will have time to garden!

I guess I was expecting to hear from you today. As I was driving home I was thinking of your return to the ivory walls. This news is huger than huge. (It makes me want to buy a car or something!)

ALL THE BEST, Ran

4. Ms. Henry,

I hope this finds you well. I saw your post on the LM_NET listserve about StudyBlue, and I wanted to reach out directly.

I work at StudyBlue and can assure you we’re dedicated to providing students with a study website of the highest integrity. For more info, from other educators, please check out our blog, so you can what teachers are saying about StudyBlue. http://company.studyblue.com/.

If we can provide more information, please don’t hesitate to contact is at info@studyblue.com.

Best,
    Matt

5. There will be an archival copy. I believe that the organizers send it out after the presentation. If they don’t – please let me know. I have the address to a presentation I did a year ago that I can send you, and I can email them for an updated url as well, since some things have changed.

Thanks for your interest!

6. Dynamic logistics in USA embrace the conceivable fate of procedures. Our adaptable technique adjusts to changing business region requests, empowering constant changes and asset improvement. From creative overall arranging designs to flexible warehousing choices, we engage your store network with the versatility it necessities to remain ahead in the ongoing high speed business scene.

7. Server Colocation Services offer businesses a strategic solution for housing their critical IT infrastructure. Instead of maintaining in-house data centers, companies can securely house their servers and networking equipment in a professional colocation facility. These facilities provide a reliable and redundant environment, including power, cooling, and connectivity, ensuring uninterrupted operations.