Have started a 10 day detox to deal with my prednisone fueled rises in sugar and A1C levels. It is a tough road….but I am down 6 pounds during my 4 day modified version and three day full-on version. Works out to be a half pound a day on the modified version and about a pound a day with the full-on version. Lots of folks have been asking questions about the detox. Here are some tips from someone in the trenches.
The diet is good for most people, not just diabetics or pre-diabetics. We ALL get too much sugar – one of the biggest offenders being packaged convenience foods and fast foods. It is doing a number on our health. It can cause inflammation throughout the body that can bring on or worsen all kinds of problems. Good luck if you decide to give it a try!
1. You can find info online by searching Dr. Mark Hyman 10 day detox. He has some books that you can purchase or borrow from a library in print or ebook format. Two of his books are “Blood Sugar Solution” and “Blood sugar Solution Cookbook”.
2. I would recommend taking a week before starting full-on to ease out of grains, sugar and dairy. Cut it back a little each day. It is tough! Remember – it is NO grains, not even oats or gluten-free.
3. NO PACKAGED FOODS. Most have added sugar.
4. Make large batches of soup to keep in the fridge and the freezer. It is HARD to eat enough to keep you going on this diet. I have not been able to physically get down more than 700 calories per day. Soup has been my salvation. We cooked up a bunch of clams for dinner and made a clear broth with veggies. I then made a hearty vegetable soup, and combined the left over clams and broth with it – as well as keeping some plain. That gets me through the evenings when I am hungry. Chicken soup is up next.
5. Here is a very weird tip. Peanut butter is not allowed on the diet because peanuts are not nuts – they are legumes. Cashew butter and almond butter ARE allowed. But what do you spread it on? No crackers or bread. In desperation, I discovered that it tastes very good on slices of zucchini or yellow summer squash. Really!
6. Also having trouble with no coffee or tea. I tried herbal tea. Not for me. Water is so boring. Solution? I cut up a strawberry and put it in with my water.
7. Stock up on blueberries and raspberries. And kiwi fruit is good.