Is it PC to be PC?

Having a bad day here. Tired to death of people using  the phrase “politically correct” as if it was somehow a dirty phrase. I admit that I HATE the term, and not just because I am accused of it all the time. I hate it because using it as a pejorative is a way of reframing compassion and kindness into a negative.  People need to understand that freedom of expression can be maintained without hurting others of different faiths/cultures or political/social viewpoints.  What has happened to compassion for our fellow humans? Have we completely lost our ability to feel someone else’s pain?  I advocate that we start using a new phrase.  We should test our words, not through the lens of “political correctness”, but rather through the filter of “Compassionate Kindness”. 

2 thoughts on “Is it PC to be PC?

1. I agree. I am traditionally a republican, but HATE their I compassionate stance on immigration! I am so bothered by it that I’m not sure I will stick with that party when it comes time to vote. I cannot stand Trump! He is awful!

I have a friend who is one of the sweetest persons I know. About a year and a half ago he confided with me that he is an illegal immigrant. He came over the border as a small child…which wasn’t his choice. He has not been to Mexico since and can only vaguely remember it. He is intelligent, clean-cut, and hardworking. He would make an ideal American citizen…but it is not as easy as simply filling out paperwork. Ignorant people make it sound as if that’s all it takes. I have been exposed to his side of the story and it is quite enlightening. I feel very compassiate towards him and his brother…who are victims of a system that is not compassionate.

2. The first sentence in my comment was supposed to say “incompassionate”, but autocorrected to say something else.