Don’t Mess With Texas … Unless You Are Big Industry

I missed this in the news when it happened a few months ago. Apparently some Republican politicians support state and local rights … when financially convenient.

Do you think that state and local governments will help preserve government “of the people, for the people, by the people”? Not so fast. Look at what has been done in Texas.

From Represent Us:

Last November, the people of Denton, Texas voted to ban a natural gas extraction process known as hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” in their city. Despite being outspent 10-1 by the oil and gas industry in the month leading up to the vote, the people of Denton passed the state’s first local fracking ban with a citizen-led referendum.

After the Denton vote, Governor Greg Abbot signed a bill banning not just Denton, but all Texas towns from making their own decisions about oil and gas drilling. Why would a small government “conservative” use government power to take away local control and overrule the vote of the People?

Just follow the money.

States Are Blocking Local Regulations, Often at Industry’s Behest

For a more snarky viewpoint, watch the video on this page:

Texas Blocks Local Fracking Bans

I hope the Republican Party and the Tea Party are as outraged as I am. If ever there was an issue that should be under local control, this is it.