What goes around comes around

I had a brilliant student many years ago.  His teacher asked me to give him special attention as a kindergartner, which I was most happy to do. I knew he was reading already….but was not prepared to discover that he was reading at at least an upper high school level. School was socially difficult for him, so I gave him special attention. We were both blessed that I was able to be there for him for a long time, since our school was k-12 at the time. I was the only librarian, and it was a pleasure to watch him grow up. School librarians have a unique ability to see what students need outside of the classroom. We are student advocates.  Anyway…awhile back I got a grateful letter from him. It is a treasured memory for me.  Here is an excerpt from that letter:

Ironically, he now works for a company called Genentech and was part of the team that developed the asthma drug I have just started….Xolair. If you have friends that suffer from sinusitis and/or asthma that does not respond well to standard treatment, please suggest Xolair to them. It comes with a scary warning of possible anaphylactic shock which can occur immediately or any time in the future while you are taking it. Definitely not something to try until all other treatments have proved ineffective.
I now have to carry an epipen with me and must stay in the office for observation for two hours after my injections. The other drawback is the cost.  My HMO does not pay anything, although thankfully Medicare covers 80% of the $800-900 price tag. That means I have to pay $160-180 per month.But it will be worth it if it continues to bring me the relief that it has so far. Don’t know what I would do without medicare, as the retail price is actually about $1200 per shot. The company does have a program to help with the cost for those who are eligible.
Anyway…it has made a huge difference for me so far.  i am even going to try starting up my walking regimen as soon as the temperature goes over 30 degrees!
My student’s letter reminds me …. good deeds do not go unnoticed. You never know when those good deeds will come back to you just when you need them!

One thought on “What goes around comes around

1. That’s really neat how it all came around full circle for you.

Been thinking about you. I hope you continue to find success with this drug.