Have Computer Savvy…Will Travel

Retired.  Hmmmmm.  What now?  I’m looking for meaningful work and could really use some advice.

I would absolutely LOVE to help people one-on-one to become more computer savvy.  Specifically (but not exclusively) I am thinking of older folks who might have just gotten a computer, but are struggling to use it, or even those who might be on the fence whether to even get a computer.

I am thinking of things like this:  uploading pictures from digital cameras, organizing and working with pictures, setting up email, how to attach files via email, organize an email address book, set up a facebook page safely, set up Skype, create document files and shortcuts to frequently used files…and on and on.  You get the picture.

Most importantly, I want to do this individually in the person’s home with their own computer, and not in a workshop setting.  I think too many folks go to introductory classes, and then get home and can’t seem to apply what they learned to their own computer.
Here are my questions:
  1. What do you think about the plan?  Do you think it is something folks would be interested in?
  2. How would you go about advertising?  My husband is freaking out about the idea of me going into strangers’ homes.  How would you deal with that?
  3. On a related subject – do you think too many people would hesitate inviting a stranger into their home?
  4. Do you think there might be retirement communities who would allow me to offer my services?  Other ways to advertise directly?
  5. What do you think I should charge?  I am not really interested in making a lot of money – but can’t afford to do this entirely on a volunteer basis.  I was thinking perhaps $25 for the first hour, $45 for two hours, and $50 for three hours.  Too much?  Too little?
  6. Given the fact that I would rather not charge for travel – do you think a 50 mile travel radius would be good?
I appreciate any and all thoughts you can offer.