Libraries in a “BookFlix” world?

The End of Content Ownership
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383373,00.asp

Well…it looks like it might be on its way.  The one thing that might pose the biggest “threat” to libraries…..a “Netflix” model for books.

The End of Content Ownership

We need to be envision ways to turn this threat into an opportunity.

A company going into this model would have to do some serious negotiating with the publishing world to make enough books available for avid readers.  And yes, I know that not everyone can afford a computer and not everyone can afford to purchase ebooks.  Even  I am WAY to cheap to purchase ebooks when I can get books (and ebooks) free from my public library.  But if this model were set up to be cheap enough, it could be pretty universal.

So… lets suppose there were a “BookFlix” service designed along the NetFlix model. This service could stream one book for $9.95 a month, 2 books for $12.95 and so on.  I would find that REALLY tempting AND within my budget. Yes I know….I would not own the book.  But I keep very few of the books I read. I am not likely to ever read a novel a second time, and if I ever wanted to, I could just put it back into my queue. Books that I want to own for research could still be purchased in print or ebook format.  Unless “BookFlix” drove print books and “traditional” ebooks right out of existence.

In a “BookFlix” world, where do libraries fit?  Will we be able to negotiate deals with publishers so that we can stream books for free?  If so – what happens to our print books collections?  What will draw people into our libraries?  School libraries would definitely morph even more into the “learning commons” model.  What about public libraries?  We would have to advertise our other services even more aggressively than we do now.  So many issues to think about!

8 thoughts on “Libraries in a “BookFlix” world?

1. Oh, I hope this doesn’t come to fruition (and I own a Nook, but only use it on planes, trains and automobiles ;)) I’d rather read a book when I want to curl up. So far my students would rather get a book also.

2. I really hate this whole idea. I don’t like reading on a computer screen, an ipad, or any of the ereaders. I don’t like the physical feel of these devices. I love the texture of pages and the sound they make as you turn them. I love the smell of books – old and new. I like being able to write on my books, with symbols that only make sense to me.

3. Pingback: Libraries in a “BookFlix” world? | Write Your Own E-book

4. Great question, Jacquie. I see some real benefits to “Bookflix” on a personal basis, but I don’t see application to Library settings at this point. Libraries don’t use Netflix now when lending DVDs, etc. Why would books be different from videos? Well, let me answer my own question: when we lend digital books, we lend the device as well. We don’t lend the DVD player every time we check out a movie. In fact, the content on the device (currently Nooks or Kindles, etc) is not permanent. It’s not ours to lend–only the device is at this point.

If Libraries offered a “Bookflix” service, then would the patron have to have his own device? A digital download from the library site that automatically expires after three weeks? Sounds possible, but that’s not the way it works now. The real key is showing publishers how they can still make money and allow Libraries to control digital content. I think it could work. The music industry has survived the Napster era, not without some bruising, but I think the publishing industry can and must evolve with these new technologies.

Since marketplace forces drive the technology, Libraries will need to step in and provide the financial momentum so that the poor are not left behind. For those cannot afford them, we should provide the devices. Marketplace also drives which books are available electronically, which means popular titles will be more accessible than more obscure items. May be a problem for the literary books which have a smaller audience. All these problems can be overcome with just a little MONEY!!

5. Really excellent ideas here. My concern is that a “bookflix” model would do away with an economic level that currently depends on libraries. The poor will always need to use libraries. They cannot afford ereaders and purchasing OR renting books. But what about folks like me? I can afford an ebook reader. I am just too cheap to buy the books. But…if I could rent books for $9.95 a month. Hmmmmm.. VERY tempting. Saves me time and effort. No waiting for books to become available. No driving to the library. No due dates. I’d sign up in a heartbeat. The public library would have to run programs and book groups to keep me coming in.