Motivating the metabolically challenged

NO ONE is more metabolically challenged than I am.

I’ve been walking steadily (on average 4 times per week) for 4 months.  With a week off for surgery.  I’ve walked through almost every kind of weather.  The first 2 months, only 2 miles per day – but  4 miles per day for the  last 2 months.  Yay for me!

The sum total of my weight loss?  ONE whole pound.

So – I must be filling up on brownies and potato chips, right?  Not with my gall bladder.  It would bark big time.  I’ve been keeping pretty close track, and I eat between 1500 & 1800 calories per day.  I know, I know.  I COULD go down to 1200 a day.  But I am not a martyr.  Weight loss is not worth that kind of sacrifice to me.  I’ll just be chubby.  And I will keep on walking.

HOW TO RESIST THE DEVIL WHEN HE WHISPERS IN YOUR EAR

IT’S TOO COLD OUT – Don’t be a whimp.  Walk fast.  Dress in layers.  Breathe in that fresh air.

IT’S TOO HOT OUT – The devil is whispering that in my ear these days.  So – get a hat, remember to drink more, wear lighter clothes, wrap a wet bandana around your neck.  Take shorter walks till you get used to it.

IT’S BORING – Get yourself an ipod and sing all the way through it.  No one can hear you and complain.  Or round up a walking companion.  That doesn’t work for me, because I am looking to get away from people.

I DON’T HAVE TIME TO WALK – Go right before or after work.  Everyone can grab at least a half hour.  And just think how much fun it will be to blow off that annoying voice whispering in your ear about all the stuff you need to do at home. You don’t have to walk every day.  Every other day is fine.

(MY FAVORITE) IT’S A PAIN TO CHANGE INTO WALKING CLOTHES – Channel June Cleaver like I do.  Wear what you usually wear to work, then just put on your jacket/hoodie/walking vest and sun visor, grab a water bottle and go.  Then laugh yourself silly when you’ve walked 2 miles and realize that you are probably the only person around wearing a hoodie and pearls.

I NEVER LOSE WEIGHT ANYWAY –   So what?  The walking has improved my energy and disposition, AND it has raised my good cholesterol & my bone density while lowering my blood pressure.  So – go out and get your vital statistics before you start, and repeat them after a few months so that you can measure improvement chemically, if not via the scale.

So – that is the Trudge Report for January through April.  Happy May!!

5 thoughts on “Motivating the metabolically challenged

1. Hi Jacquie,

I may not be more metabolically challenged, but I’m equally challenged. Starting a 10K training program on Wednesday and I’ll try to keep thinking of you when I get frustrated. Another area where you motivate me. Thanks!

2. Good job! A trick that has worked for me is having a dog. He makes me feel guilty if I don’t take him for a walk. Sometimes he even looks up at his leash that hangs on a hook in our kitchen a heaves a sigh.

I’m done with school. I have just located a form that you and I have to fill out. I need to find out from my adviser when it needs to be filled out by.

3. Pingback: Walking – Technology-proof « Wanderings…