Overdues – Gee, you want me to go all the way to my locker?

My favorite mentoree recently asked me about managing overdues.  I really had no particular wisdom to offer her.  But then I found this on LM_NET:

With permission from  Harry Coffill  – who always makes me laugh out loud:

I work with tech and switch off computer accounts for overdue books. Works better than anything.

You need staff buy-in. Especially helpful if you’re also responsible for texts (we are.)

Always point out to admin and staff the $ signs. (“We’re owed $3200 worth of school materials.”) Don’t say “library books” or no one will care. When, say, a history teacher, complains of denied computer access for a student–say “$1000 of those materials are SS books.”

Want kids to rocket to your desk with ovd materials? Switch off the internet.

By the way–my favorite line? “Its in my locker. DO YOU WANT ME TO GO GET IT?”

Yes, miss. After the printed bulletin, the notice over the loudspeaker, the mailed bill, the marching band, the skywriter, the carved marble tablet, the morning wake-up call, the conversation with your mom and the face-to-face conversation we’re having RIGHT NOW, I’d like you to walk ALL THE WAY to your locker and get the book that’s been due since October 1st.

“Right now?”

We can all relate, can’t we?

7 thoughts on “Overdues – Gee, you want me to go all the way to my locker?

1. Great idea! I think this will work even better than threatening a detention. The best part is I’m sure my principal and the technology department will go for it.

Thanks for sharing!

2. Recently I got a phone call from the Canandaigua Academy Library. They said, “We just want to inform you that your son has an overdue library book called ___________.” I’ve never been called up on the phone by any school library before regarding an overdue book. Is this a common approach?

3. I don’t know how common it is. I don’t do phone calls until the very end of the school year. It is very time consuming, and often hard to actually reach the parent. I actually prefer it to a letter. I think it is harder to ignore than a letter. As long as the librarian is pleasant and keeps things light – it can be very effective.

4. Thanks for the props.

In Re: Phone calls.

I call after students have been suspended for two weeks. I want to get their computer access restored, and usually it’s 6th graders who haven’t informed parents.

After 2 weeks, I’m usually down to only 10 or fewer kids.

I’ve also usually mailed invoices by then, but I find the mail often gets intercepted. Hmmm. Wonder how that happens?!

5. Thanks for adding more information. I think your ideas are very interesting. I plan to talk it over with my tech guy – just as soon as he is done producing the Spring musical!

And thanks for your posts on LM_NET. I always look forward to your insights and your humor!